Several years ago I came across this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and it has long since become my families favorite way to eat Strawberry Shortcakes. This week our local Market had Strawberries on sale so I saw a golden opportunity I just could not pass up.
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half ( just regular milk works as well)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chip
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Whipped Cream or Cool Whip
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/4 c sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving (this will create its own nice juices for serving).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the whipping cream and 1/2 c butter.
- Stir the cream mixture into the flour mixture, just until a thick batter forms; then gently stir in the chocolate chips just till mixed.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet ( I just use an ice cream scoop).
- Brush tops with the 1 tbsp melted butter and sprinkle evenly with the extra 1 tbsp sugar.
- Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes or just until golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally and spoon strawberries onto bottom half then top with whipped cream (if using) and replace shortcake tops.
Tasty Tuesday at http://beautyandbedlam.com/