We try to make some meatless meals a week. Some weeks we will have a few, some weeks we will have none. I consider it a success if we have one meatless meal a week. My DH is a meat and potatoes kind of man, and it has taken me quite a few years to convince him that it's O.K. to eat a meal without meat once in a while. One of our favorites is this Mac and Cheese recipe. It seems to have enough substance to make everyone feel satisfied and it's not out of a box.( Not that there is anything wrong with the boxed kind, but I really like cooking from scratch)
3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups milk
8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
1 1/3 cups small curd cottage cheese
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- Cook Macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- Place in a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
- stir in flour, salt and sugar until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk, bring to a boil ; cook for 2 minutes until thickened.,.
-Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream.
- Pour over macaroni
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This post is linked to Cooking Thursday,
Ultimate Recipe Swap