Monday, November 5, 2012

Beef And Barley Soup

Day five of my slow cooker challenge and on today's menu: Beef and Barley Soup

1 and 1/2 pounds of Beef Stew meat
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
4 Carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 Onion, chopped
1 Leek, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 Bay leaf
5 cups Beef broth
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed or I  used
1 can Corn, undrained, 1 can Green Beans undrained
3/4 cup medium Barley ( I used Pearl Barley)

1. Combine the first 10 ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Add the Barley and thawed mixed vegetables and cook 2 hours more.
Since I used canned veggies I added them about 30 minutes before we ate.
All ingredients assembled in my slow cooker, yum!

 What we thought about it.  This turned out more Stew than Soup which is fine with me since I really like thick Stews. The taste was very good and my hungry crew loved it. I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment