Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Cuban Black Beans And Rice / Day 6

When I came across this recipe I was really excited. I love Rice and Black Beans and the thought of cooking it all in my slow cooker sounds just great so here it is.

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

3 and 3/4 cups Chicken Broth
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked Brown Rice
1 large Onion, chopped
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 tsp ground Cumin
1 tsp Salt
2 cans Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp fresh Lime juice
Sour Cream ( optional)
Chopped Green Onions ( optional)

- Place Chicken Broth, Rice, Onion, Jalapeno Pepper, Garlic, Cumin and Salt in slow cooker, mixing well. Cover and cook on low for 7 and 1/2 hours or until rice is tender.
- Stir in Beans and Lime juice. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes more or until Beans are heated
 through. Garnish with Sour Cream and Green Onions, if desired.

What we thought. I think the 7 and 1/2 hours cooking time are way to long. The texture of Rice that is way overcooked is just something I'm not fond of. My panel of judges, aka. picky eaters,  agreed that the flavor was good but the texture not so much.  I will give this another try with maybe about 4 hours of slow cooker time.

No comments:

Post a Comment